Background

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Youth Day

When I was in High School I applied to be apart of a new group called the Bemidji Youth Advisory Commission. The purpose of the commission was to help link youth with adults and provide drug/alcohol free type activities for kids to do in a town with nothing to do. Eleven years ago I petitioned the City Council to mandate June 7th to be 'Youth Day.' We celebrated it by having a youth march with the mayor, bands playing down at the waterfront all day, and a street dance to end the day. It was very successful, but I never thought that it would be still be going on eleven years later! (Kind of makes me sound old!!)

I was in town on June 7th this year and stopped by the youth rally! It was fantastic to see that it had gotten bigger and better! Wish I could find pictures of the first youth rally...pretty sure I did not have a digital camera at the time!

3 comments:

  1. Thats great that you were able to help start a program like that! What a good way to influence your town for good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are always an inspiration girly! Way to be!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so awesome Katie. Way to go!!

    ReplyDelete